Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Republican PC hypocrisy

There's an excellent article in Salon discussing the problem with hysteric jingoists declaring certain opinions or utterances off-limits regardless of context. I have a bit of a different take on it, then I promise never to mention Rev. Wright again.

I've had it up to here with right wingers who cry about, on the one hand "Happy Holidays" or "Waitperson" as somehow evidence of a communist plot to control their mind. Then they turn around and whine about Rev. Wright saying "God Damn America" as if that were the same as planting a bomb. Last time I looked this was a free country with a vibrant political discourse. It might be in poor taste for me to write God Damn America or even Nigger in my blog, but by God I have a right to do it! As Reverend Wright had a right to say what he said. And just because Senator Obama may have listened to him say it, so what? We'll judge the content of his character by what he says and does. He may have learned an entirely different lesson from that sermon than the one simple-minded people might assume.

No comments: